Posted By : Admin
Are you ready to become a conqueror of mountains, champion of the deserts and crusader of a daring tour? If your to-do list includes climbing, rafting or trekking then Pakistan is the right choice as this is a country with more than its fair share of truly marvelous sites and a feast of unclimbed peaks which are waiting to be surmounted by a worthy daredevil.
Pakistan is superior than Nepal in the dictionary of world’s best trekking places. There are too many thrilling treks that anyone can do in Pakistan – from one day to multi-week hiking -even the dull climbers will have the opportunity to enjoy some amazing terrains. Pakistan is a motherland of 108 peaks and 5 of the 14 highest mountains in the world. “Chasing angels or fleeing demons, go to the mountains”. So, get ready for backpacking and feast your eyes on world’s most giant mountaintops.
K2 (Godwin Austen)
K2 is the highest peak of Karakoram located in Pakistan-China border. It was given a temporary name K2 (for Karakoram 2) by a British TG Montgomerie, but later no suitable name could be found. K2 is a buffet for mountain lovers with some interesting facts as mentioned below:
- The first backpacker to climb K2 was Oscar Eckenstein. According to him, time to outreach foot of the mountain is 14 days in case you lack any modern transportation.
- K2 stands second in the list of highest mountains after Mount Everest with the height of 8611 m
- K2 is titled as “Savage mountain” by George bell. According to him K2 is a savage mountain that tries to kill you
- From eight-thousanders, K2 has a second highest fatality rate because of its extremely difficult ascent.
- Pakistan is a helping hand to climb this wild mountain as climbing from Pakistan side is much easier than from China.
- Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all - a Spanish climber, Carlos Soria conquered this mountain at age of 65.
- Climbing this mountain will make your blood run cold as between the time span of 6 August to 10 August in 1986, 5 climbers died due to sever storm and downslopes of the mountain.
- To elaborate strenuousness of K2, films were made. K2 in 1991, Vertical Limit in 2000, K2: Siren of the Himalayas in 2012 and The Summit in 2012 are some famous films about K2.
“When the sun shines, it smokes up there. The demons blow their horns and fairies cook their bread.”
This saying is for Naga Parbat or ‘Deo Mir’ which is the 9th highest mountain in the world. Stretched across Indus river, this mountain skirts around the west of Himalayas in Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan.
- The main peak of this mountain was first climbed by Hermann Buhl by 40 hours of solo trekking
- The local meaning of Nanga Parbat is ‘naked mountain’ but it is labeled as ‘killer mountain/man eater’ due to its deadliest peaks
- This mountain is highest after K2 in Pakistan, but its death rate is more than K2 and it is difficult to climb it.
- The mountain’s first appearance to the world was through a canvas painted by German travelers in 1852
- According to geological survey, Nanga Parbat is ranked as the fastest growing mountain on earth and it is continuously growing.
Mounting this mountain will definitely give you rough times as it notorious for taking human lives, but with the motto of ‘victory is beyond fear’ a true adventurer can conquer it.
- This mountain is ranked as an 11th highest mountain in the world and 3rd highest in Pakistan after K2 and Nanga Parbat.
- This mountain was first conquered by American climbers in 1958
- Gasherbrum means ‘beautiful mountain’. This mountain is also known as ‘shining wall’.
- The other familiar names of this mountain are ‘K5’ and ‘Hidden peaks’.
- This mountain was first climbed by Austrians in 1956
- Gasherbrum is a group of five peaks out of which this mountain is 13th highest mountain of the world
- This mountain is also known as K4 and it is 3rd highest peak of Gasherbrum series in widespread of Karakorum
- Gasherbrum II is the perfect peak to start high mountain climbing. Ascending this mountain is not as dangerous as other nearby peaks, but still it is full of thrill and adventure.
- The local name of this mountain is Faichan Kangri and it is 12th highest mountain in the world with 8047 meters height
- It was first conquered by a climber from Germany. Climbing with the help of ropes is best on broad peak
- It is known as broad peak and enormous triple-headed because of its breadth at peak.
- The most impressive part of the mountain is its sheer bulk that dominates left-bank of K2 glacier.
“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity.” Jamie Luner
If your heart is ready to sing on the mountains, then make a tour in Pakistan as the 5 out of 14 highest peaks are calling for twist and turns and I’m sure you’re going to be thrilled to death on these life-threatening mountains.